Indianapolis Tax Planning and Tax Dispute Lawyers
Several of the most experienced attorneys at the law firm of Cohen Garelick & Glazier work with individual and business clients in the area of tax planning and tax dispute resolution. Our attorneys' significant credentials - decades of experience, a Master's degree in tax law, a background as a Certified Public Accountant, cases before the U.S. Tax Court - give clients confidence that no matter how complicated their tax issue, we can help.
If you or your company needs legal advice to minimize your tax burden or to resolve a tax dispute with the IRS or an Indiana taxing authority, contact a Carmel tax dispute lawyer at the Indianapolis office of Cohen Garelick & Glazier to schedule a consultation.
We frequently provide tax planning and tax dispute representation to health care providers such as physicians and dentists in private practice.
Tax Planning for Businesses
For your new business, we will work closely with you to understand what you want to accomplish and how you tend to make decisions. As Indianapolis tax planning attorneys, we can help you choose the type of business entity that will be the most efficient for your new company from a tax and accounting perspective.
As your business grows, we can advise you on the tax implications of a variety of business and employment law matters such as:
- Should you hire employees or use independent contractors?
- What kind of retirement plan and employee benefits should you offer?
- Should you purchase or rent a business property?
- Is it more advantageous for tax purposes to buy or lease equipment?
Every financial transaction has tax consequences, particularly those relating to the infusion of capital, the distribution of income, and the transition of business ownership. We structure contracts such as buy-sell agreements and shareholder agreements.
We have sought private letter rulings from the IRS on behalf of business clients seeking a ruling prior to a specific transaction.
Tax Planning for Families
When working with families on their estate and tax planning, we have several goals in mind:
- We seek to minimize the size of the clients' estate that will be subjected to estate tax. This can be accomplished with trusts, family limited partnerships, or gifting strategies and gift tax planning (for example, gifting to a 529 college education plan or an educational IRA).
- We ensure our clients' estate planning documents are prepared in a manner that takes full advantage of all applicable estate tax deductions or exemptions.
- Finally, for those assets that will be taxable upon death, we help our clients ensure there is money to pay them (for example, with a life insurance trust).
We also work with families that own family businesses to prepare a business succession plan that brings family members and/or key employees into or out of the business.
Tax Disputes Before State and Federal Tax Authorities
Our tax attorneys provide legal guidance that prevents tax problems from developing. But if you or your company is already facing an audit or experiencing a tax problem, we will represent you before the IRS and state tax authorities. Our goal in all tax disputes is to help resolve the problem and to lower or eliminate any penalties or liabilities.
We assist clients with tax disputes involving:
- Sales tax and employment tax withholding
- Personal or business income tax
- Unemployment tax
We represent clients in IRS audits and state tax audits. We assist with offers in compromise. We also handle tax litigation in the U.S. Tax Court.
Contact our Indianapolis Tax Planning Lawyers
If you need help with any tax planning matter or tax dispute defense, please contact Cohen Garelick & Glazier in Indianapolis, Indiana. You can reach our attorneys by phone at 317-573-8888 or 1-800-624-7370. You can also contact us online.